4-6 lbs pork shoulder or pork butt
2 tablespoons caraway seeds
1 tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons ground pepper
2 tablespoons cooking oil
3 medium onions, roughly chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2-3 leeks, cleaned and chopped
1/2 cup water or stock or white wine or beer
2-3 tablespoons flour
2-3 tablespoons butter
Other seasonings that can be rubbed into the pork before roasting include: marjoram or minced garlic or your favorite mustard
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Rub the entire roast all over with the oil and sprinkle with caraway, salt, pepper.
- Let stand for one hour.
- Place the vegetables into roasting pan and pour liquid of choice.
- Place the roast, fat side down, in the roasting pan on top of the vegetables.
- Cover tightly and roast for one hour.
- Remove from oven, uncover and turn roast fat side up.
- Cut decorative diamonds into the fat, insert meat thermometer and replace, uncovered, back into the oven for approximately 2 hours or until meat thermometer reads 165°F.
- Remove from oven and take out of roaster; cover with foil to preserve temperature, and let rest for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove and save the vegetables to serve on the side.
- Measure pan juices; add enough chosen liquid (water, wine, stock, or beer) to make 2 cups.
- Make a roux by blending the flour and butter together very well in a saucepan; add the pan juices and bring to a simmer.
- Slice the roast thinly and serve with the gravy on the side.